Saturday, September 1, 2012

Upon arrival, I thought I should have taken the time to learn a little French - after all I had the 3 week course at home and I had used the same company program in Italy and I was really able to get around. But alas, with quitting my job, moving out, spending time with family and friends - it appears learning a language was low priority. After all, up until 4 or 5 days ago I only had a vague plan but then after 3 hours of computer planning I was set on my cities to visit as well as the camino trail that I would take - yes this is a as it comes trip!

So I truly have not gotten lost - amazing as that is as the streets in Paris twist and turn and change more than any other city I have visited. I think some people might think I am a mute- I walk up with a map and point and then they start talking in French and using hand signals. I finish with "merci"- I know impressive and then starting walking in the way they first pointed. I end up getting to where I want to go and really have not had any problems. But on three occasions thus far, I was walking per my directions or map and then I had a filling to go down a different road off the route.

First time I ended up at a small per Paris standard but large per US standard church and as I enter I saw that mass would begin in 5 minutes. Well I went outside quickly to get Internet service so my mass reading app would work but no such luck... So mass number one was all in French. I was able to follow along and just focused on a stain glass and the story that that meant to me. It is easy to see how for so many generations the catholic faith has taught their people through the bible and Christian stories of old using stain glass, pictures, and statues. it was a wonderful first French mass and there was about 200 people in attendance -the faithful. The second time I went off course I was led to another church. This church was very quiet and gave me some alone time to just be present. The third time I went off course was today and it led me to a church that at first appeared vacant as I was thinking about this church I walked around in what I thought was a vacant church and behind the main altar was a back private chapel with adoration taking place and about 15 people in attendance. In all the large churches they have multiple side chapels with altars and tabernacles but i have yet to see adoration or the light letting us know Christ is there in the sacrament of the Eucharist.

So at the end of this post I will some up the lesson as simply when we act simply on faith and trust and not only on our own intellect it is easy for God to guide us. God gave us intellect but it was never suppose to block our faith or trust. I know I have been guilty of blocking the Holy Spirit because it did not go with the plan.

God bless,
Kim Brown

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that Church is absolutely beautiful. The "coincidence" of you getting lead to Churches each time gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes. I can already tell that God is so evident in your journey and is watching over you. Even better, I am so glad to hear that you are safe more than anything!

    Keep 'em coming!! :)

    ReplyDelete