Saturday, September 8, 2012

Over the past two days I was able to FaceTime or Skype with my sister; parents; and sister-in-law and two nephews and it was great seeing them and being able to talk to them for the first time since I left directly but it was hard to say goodbye. I have always been bad with goodbyes and although I like closure, truth is I would rather skip out. That's why on my final day of work I said I was going to lunch and just did not come back- although, my staff caught me in the act and knew what was happening.

I know God gives of the strength to do whatever He wills us but I have always enjoyed a close relationship with my family and have a hard time imagining parting from them. This would be reason 2 why I would make a bad missionary. Reason 1, would be my horrible ability to speak a foreign language- 5 years of Spanish in high school and college and I am at un poco. Oh well, it was good seeing them and I am glad for my parents, apparently since I left my mom has been getting on her slow speed country connection three times a day trying to skype me.

Switching gears...

We are the light of the world, we are a city on a hill.... As I travel today from the Normandy area to Lourdes I get to spend 12 hours in route and I have been able to see some wonderful landscape. The song above keeps coming to mind as we pass small towns and villages where their church is placed on the hill. What I like best is how the church dominates the town and landscape... Not in scary I am going to eat you ogre way but in give God the glory and focus on Him kind of way.

In the old days our ancestors built their churches at the high points because to them it was a sign of being closer to heaven and that is what going to church is suppose to be all about- us getting closer to God and giving Him the glory. Many of you have heard or read Scott Hans works about the mass and how it is directly linked to heaven. Taking part over here with the religious communities is kind of neat because I cannot understand the words but get to enjoy their voices and it is like a choir of angels; especially during evening vespers.

No comments:

Post a Comment