Friday, September 13, 2013

Walk Around Siena

As I walked around the town of Siena, I was drawn to walk towards the Basilica of San Francesco.  I did not know it until, i walked inside the church but one of the Eucharistic Miracles is in siena and it is at the Basilica of San Francesco.  So now, I know why I was led to walk this way!
The Eucharistic Miracles are great examples to use when teaching about the bread and wine being the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist (transformed into the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Christ).  On occasion, our church (the people) have been given miracles such as the bread being preserved for centuries, actual blood coming from the bread, and so forth.  These signs are given to us,to help the Thomas in each of us but the true miracle of the Eucharist, in my opinion is each and every time a Mass is said and the consecration of ordinary bread and wine turns into our very Lord.  Then we become tabernacles as we go about our day and if we truly allow God to do His thing in us (His will), then the Eucharistic transform us.  And that there is another miracle, when we really examine our selves -our failures and shortcomings - and yet, God takes us with these and can make us Holy, if we simply follow Him.  And it becomes easier to follow him, when we are physically carrying Him inside ourselves.  I am at my best, when I received Him regularly through the sacrament of the Eucharist. Through that gift, which I deeply want, I become aware of how badly I need Him.
As I prayed in the church, the Friar was kind enough to remove the urn from the tabernacle with the 223 host in it that are almost 300 years old for myself and a few other pilgrims that were there.  I had not expected to get to see the host, since the signage said that it is venerated following Mass of the 17th of each month.  But once again, I will close it out by saying... God is good!

1 comment:

  1. God Bless you Kim. What a strong and beautiful faith you have.
    Our little church in Tarboro, NC is Saint Catherine of Siena. Ed Kilby 9Punny - Doc's brother)

    ReplyDelete