Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Prayer & People

My preferred style of prayer is in my mind and heart, but I have realized for many they want to verbally express their prayers be it through speaking or singing.  We all have different learning styles and in the same way we all have different prayer styles.  Just as a teacher must teach to both the student that learns through lecturing as well as the student that learns from hands on experience (among other learning styles); we as a church offer many ways to pray to God.  The silence for me is where I most often meet God and hear God.  I still participate in group prayers and songs, but a lot of times, I will strive to silence out all the noise around me and zone in on the silence I can find within me that God provides.  I am nowhere perfect but I have come a long way from previously being distracted by others. 

 Alas, In Medugorje there were many groups from many countries that were praying in their native language.  This is one thing, which I love about the Catholic Church- our very name means we are universal- even though we do not speak the same language, we have the same faith and we are able to pray together and celebrate Mass together without actually needing to speak the same vocal language because we speak the same spiritual language (from our heart and minds).  Each evening, at the evening prayer service and Mass- we would all gather and say the rosary in our own language.  Then at Mass you would hear the people respond to the Priest in many languages.  Whenever I am with a large community of Catholics from different parts of the world, I have a very strong appreciation for the men and women, who came before and shared the truth to all the corners of the world- starting with the apostles.  So in this very brief blog, I leave you with that thought... Who can I thank for sharing the truth with me?  Most likely there is more than one.  Fitting, I come to that question on the eve of my grandmothers birthday, whom prayers are still with me and my family today from heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment