Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Well, I decided to head up to Monserrat for a day trip and I am very thankful that I did not make the Madrid flight and decided to move on to Barcelona. I left early in the morning and after walking, catching a bus, and then the metro... I arrived at the air lift still before it opened. So I was part of the first group to arrive at the mountain and then I headed straight to the basilica. Upon, arrival I first went to see the Madonna statue before the crowds came. As I approached the statue I felt alone and it was so calm and peaceful. There was a woman there with me but the church was empty and beautiful. The Madonna overlooks the basilica and when you ascend the steps there is an opening so everyone in the church can see the Madonna but you can also see the entire church from a birds-eye view.

After I had a good while, I heard the elementary school children coming up the stairs and that gave me my cue it was time to leave. I rode the air tram up with the group and the teachers kept making apologies for the children's excitement but I simply smiled. I cannot even begin to think how awesome it is for the kids school field trip to a religious site and the extreme work the teachers have to do to ensure small children are respectful there and maintain some kind of silence.

As I descended the stairs I opened the small chapel door and entered where I was alone. This small chapel is beautifully decorated and the back of the Madonna statue can be viewed above the altar, every now and then you can see someone touch the exposed part of the Madonna as they offer up there prayers. In the small chapel, I began singing the divine mercy chaplet and just had such a sense of peace and contentment as I prayed. Every now and then, someone enter and I would begin singing quietly to myself, so as to not disturb their prayer but once they left it was all about singing to our lord.

After that, I left and entered the main sanctuary where mass would begin in 30 minutes and read the readings while I waited. The brothers entered first and waited and i was a bit sad seeing that this order only had ten brothers but as the mass began it was truly wonderful watching so many priest precede in. I did not count but I would guess there was over 20! Mass was lovely and I am fairly confident it was not done in Spanish or if it was Spanish it had to be some different kind of dialect then what I have been use to.

After mass, I checked out the Cisneros abat where I wanted to have lunch but of course, lunch does not start until 1:30, because really who wants lunch earlier than that! So I checked out the museum and they had some wonderful Christian paintings, some very old Torah scrolls, as well as some beautiful Christian chalices and monstrances.

After the museum, I went to get a seat for the 1 o'clock boys choir and wow the church was packed. My day had seemed so quiet and now literally the basilica was standing room only with school children setting on the floor. I took a seat on the steps by a side chapel and was there with the Spanish Red Cross. THe boys choir was lovely and there voices truly beautiful... Little angels! After that I headed to lunch and I am glad I waited. By far best meal of my entire trip. The place is classy - good thing I have the entire pilgrim dress thing going on - so I did not stand out at all (yes that is sarcasm).

The day at Monserrat was lovely and although I wanted to see my family especially my nephews for Halloween, I am glad that god had other plans and that I moved on to the next thing instead of forcing my plan (which would have been rerouting through countries to get home, booking a ticket, or waiting at the Madrid airport for the next flight - all of this passed through my mind the other morning). Lately, I have had some dreams of things I needed to teach daisy about my old job or the what is next for me in regards to my life and that is my subconscious saying, 'hey Kim, your trip is coming to an end. now what are you going to do?' and the answer that I have come to about what to do with my life and vocation is just this.

I am going to take a day at a time and try to move each day as I feel led by the Holy Spirit. It has been amazing watching the Holy Spirit work on this trip in my life and had I been stuck on my plan, I would have missed many great moments. I do not think I needed to go this pilgrimage to learn that, but I needed the pilgrimage to create the habit. Depending on which expert you talk to, the say it takes anywhere from 28-40 days to create a new habit.... Well this overachiever gave it 60 days to just let it sink in. But like anything, when push comes to shove, I might fall back into my old way and so this habit of just being led by the Holy Spirit will have to be something I daily remind myself as well as something I will continue have to pray because it has not been my first nature all these years.

This year, the catholic faith is celebrating the year of faith as a chance for us to grow more in our faith. So my question I pose to you, is what new habit are you going to put on in regards to your faith? As well as what one habit will you work on quitting as it prevents you from living your faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment