Wednesday, October 24, 2012

So after constantly walking and getting fresh air, the very long bus trip to fatima was well long (especially since I am known for getting car sick). So my arrival was to rain and darkness coming in. While on the bus, a lovely woman whom I had only had a brief conversation with, since I was trying to sleep had wrote me a note. Which included lodging recommendations with some nuns by the angel of Portugal statue. So as I walked to the sanctuary it was empty - just a large massive area with nobody. I asked a nun for directions showing her the name of the convent and she pointed the way and continued going the opposite way. Either I looked pathetic or simply god was blessing me but a bit later I felt the nun come from behind and walk me to the correct street. She then gave me a blessing and sent me on my way. It was pouring down rain and she went really out of the way for me.

So I arrive in darkness and rung the bell and sister Maria welcomed me. This is where I learn Spanish and Portuguese are not the same but we make it work and I get a room. She shows me to my cell and I get out of my wet clothes and have a great nights sleep. My body needed the rest and fatima has offered the rest that I needed physically.

I also have been blessed by complete strangers helping me when I had no plan - god comes in with his plan.

At my convent on the first day, I hung around there for the most part with laudes, adoration, vespers, and mass. I did go to the market as well as go see the chapel of apparitions as well as the basicilia. But mainly, I had a restful day of prayer. The nuns also invited me to sing vespers (in Portuguese of course) and I noticed I was on the side with the good singers. It felt a little bit like teen acts playing the drum on stage again but I gave it my all. I guess I was not that bad or they are all about grace because this morning they had me singing laudes with them.

After another amazing night of sleep and laudes I walked to the village of fatima and on the way did the stations of the cross. The rain and sky kept many people away, so I literally had the walk to myself. During stations you come across the site where a Marian apparition occurred as well as the spot where the angel of peace occurred. In the village I first walked and arrived at Francisco and jacintas childhood home. Across the road, the family has kept many artifacts and I met their niece whom was there older brothers Daughter. She was very kind and we worked together to understand the various things she tried to tell me.

From there I walked to the Parrish church and was alone there and then began my walk back down where I eventually made it to Lucia's house and where another appearance of the angel of peace was made. From there I returned to the sanctuary of fatima and entered the adoration chapel and saw some of the exhibits.

Part of my walk today, after I finished the stations of the cross was simply thinking about the message of fatima. Really the message that Mary always brings to gods people. She never brings glory to herself, but directs us to her son and to god. She calls us to repent of our sins and to pray for the world. You see, coming to places of Marian apparitions does not make someone pray to Mary but for many it draws you closer to Mary and just like a friend, we ask her to pray for us to her son. In the bible we find the example of Mary, interceding on behalf of the bridegroom at the wedding and Mary intercedes today on our behalf just like she did 2,000 years ago. You see every Christian believes in life after death, so simply speaking Mary is alive today- her soul as well as yours and mine are eternal. Our bodies will rot, our things will decay, but our souls were made forever.

So for me, I have enjoyed my time in fatima and the fact that it help deeper my appreciation for repenting not only of my sins but for the sins of the world. Especially those who have no one to pray for them. As I think of the people in the world that do not pray or have anyone to pray for them, it does sadden me. Remember, our souls are meant to last forever. to think that so many people know about god but turn their back to him and will spend eternity separate from him. This is not worth any short-term happiness that I can think of and yet so many people choose that life. I know, I have been down the short-term happiness path and focusing on self instead of god and I am grateful that for me I had the time to change my life. For I have known people that never had the chance to place god first and repent of their sins before their death. You see that is the beauty of this message it calls all of us home. It does not come for the perfect but calls us to the perfect love.

No comments:

Post a Comment